Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Short Guide For the Gay Visitor to Athens on a Winter Weekend Break

,
Best Numbers For Lottery :

A Winter Weekend in Athens Greece

Some suggestions of where to go and what to do during a short 'city break' in Athens. A series of three articles to help you make the most of your stay.

Part 2 - Eating out, another gay bar, museums and their opening hours.

Having arrived back in Monastiraki it was time to join everyone else at one of the many cafes, which line the street beside the suburban railway line. This may sound odd, but as the line is 'sunk' below street level and there are fewer trains on Sunday, it is actually very pleasant particularly on a sunny day when during the afternoon the sun shines directly on you.

This is a place 'to see and be seen' as every man and a few dogs are here sitting somewhere or another. For a change the cafes are so busy they do not approach you to come in, it is more a case of find a space and sit before someone else takes it! Here you will find illegal street traders whose stall is a white sheet, which can be lifted, goods and all, and taken away before the local police move them on or fine them.

You will be serenaded by small children playing the bouzouki or accordion with varying degrees of failure, you will have gypsy flower sellers palming you off with roses that last for about two hours, and lottery ticket sellers trying to sell you tickets!

If you are really lucky you will get a cup of coffee within a few minutes, but you will have to wait an hour to try and pay!

I take my coffee at leisure, an hour and a half, and then decide to head back to the Agora to take some more pictures as background and decoration for a web site I am designing. At the Temple of Haphaestos I am accosted by two ladies from Sapporo in Japan. They are on a European Tour and have managed most of the UK and Italy but need directions to the Temple of Olympian Zeus. They have chosen me because I look as though I can speak an English that they will understand. We chat for a while and I explain that it is easier to walk around the Acropolis than climb up it again and then down the other side. They also want to look at the stadium. 'Is it old?' 'Yes 1936 for the Olympics (I think)'.

Finally I return to base for a well earned afternoon nap ready for the rigours of the evening!

Finding a restaurant in the middle of Athens should be easy, in fact there are dozens around the Psirri/Monastiraki area, but this article is supposed to help you so I will send you to Mitropoleos Street, which starts at the square opposite Monastiraki station and heads towards Platia Syntagma. At present the square is surrounded by corrugated iron fence so find the Everest cafe on Ermou and take the alleyway beside it. The first place you come to is good and normally has tables on the other side of the alley, or continue round the corner in Mitropoleos where you will find about ten restaurants! In summer this street is full of tables serving mainly tourists in the early evening and Greeks later on. In January there are still tables outside but you want to be warm and cosy don't you? Most of these places are 'souvlaki' shops selling mainly skewered meats cooked on the barbecue, other are 'gyros' shops which is a similar idea but the meat is in bulk cooked vertically. All have other items on the menu if you ask to see it, but don't expect them to have everything, particularly things like 'moussaka'!

After a little wander up and down I selected 'Sabbas' as my eating place on this particular Sunday night, mainly because I happened to notice, on the way past, that one of the grill chefs had the most beautiful eyes. (OK if you can think of a better way of choosing a restaurant then let me know). Having ordered chicken souvlaki, with tzatziki to start and a quarter litre of house plonk, I proceeded to knock the ashtray off the table and spill a drink on the table behind me as I took my coat off. There is nothing like making an impression! At first glance the price looks expensive as the souvlaki is €9. So in total my meal is going to cost just over €14, but consider this, if there had been two of me and we had ordered a bowl of salad as well then the two of us could have eaten for €17 all up (well maybe €20 because we would have needed more wine!). As it was there was so much chicken on the souvlaki I had a problem eating it all, I found out afterwards that it was meant to be shared between two. Further up the street you can get a chicken or pork 'gyros' in pitta bread with a salad for €6.50 and you will get enough to eat!

Taking my time and writing up my notes for the day took two hours and nobody glares at you for taking the table for so long! By now it is gone 10pm so I decide it is time to investigate another gay bar, this time 'The Big Bar' which is supposed to be a 'bear bar'. One of the great things about this area is that you can walk places!

The 'Big Bar' is located beyond Gazi, which is home to many nightclubs including several gay ones. Personally many of these are not to my taste, the crowd tends to be too young and clucky, the drinks are often expensive, and the music is very often Greek 'popular' which is not me either! Having said that if you have the time then by all means go and try one or more, I am only trying to send you somewhere 'reliable' after all.

Big Bar is located in a side street just over the railway lines as you head out of the city on Iera Street, (on the way out you pass two very fancy nightclubs, one of which asks you to wear a tie, that's me off the guest list then). I arrive after about 25 minutes (time for the food to settle) walk, shortly after it opens. It is empty, but I realize this is still early and anyway it gives me time to chat to the owner, Christos. One of the best things about smaller bars is you get information and in this case a free beer as well. Christos is interested in the fact that I live on Crete, and tells me what the Cretan men are like (I already know), apologizes for the price of the beer which is €5 a bottle (not really that bad considering I have just come from the UK where they charge €9 for the same thing), and tells me how expensive Greek taxes are. I get a slight suspicion that maybe he would prefer to live somewhere other than Athens, but then many Athenians seem slightly jealous of us 'islanders' and one of the main topics of conversation in Athens is whether Crete will split away from Greece. This seems a bit odd as it is barely 100 years since Crete became part of Greece, but then they point out that Crete is 'rich' with agriculture and tourism and maybe it could survive on its own.

But back to the Big Bar, Christos tells me that the busy nights are Friday and Saturday when they play rock music, and that Tuesday night is Greek music night and he reels off a list of Greek singers many of whom are pop singers from the 1980's. The place is closed on Monday as are many other places in Athens.

Atmosphere-wise the Big Bar is a comfortable mix of wood grain, dark colors and vinyl with a big screen for showing pop video clips and a glitter ball (a little unexpected for a Bear bar but actually quite a nice feature and it does add a bit of glitz). All in it is quite 'cosy and cuddly' just as you would expect a bear's lair to be! It is not a big place about six people can sit at the bar with ease, which of course makes it a friendly place to be. By the time I leave at 12.30am there are a few more customers including a chatty couple (one Greek the other American I think) at the bar who know Brighton!

Monday is museum day and come hell or high water I am going to get to see the National Archaeological Museum!

One thing you get used to in Greece is wrong information for opening times and the museum is no exception, everything says that it opens at 10.30am on Mondays. It doesn't, it opens at 1.00pm. Being optimistic I arrive there at midday. Not a problem there is a nice cafe in the forecourt complete with gas patio heaters. The tactile strip on the paving to help the partially sighted runs straight through the middle of the cafe, just to make life even easier at one end are swing doors and the other end sliding doors! Only in Greece. The large Greek coffee comes with a glass of water of course, and also a small dish of cherry 'spoon sweet', two small croissants, and a couple of small almond biscuits. All for €4!

The number of exhibits in the museum seems much smaller than it did in 1969 when I was last here and I think that maybe during the refurbishment in 2001/2003 they have deliberately gone for quality rather than quantity. The museum is well laid out and is not so big that you can get bored if you are not that interested in Greek history. I am there for some hours! Those of us who are advancing in years (22 in my case) with not so good eyesight, always have a problem in museums and this one is no exception. The cards they use for the printed text use a 'serif' typeface a couple of points too small to be easily read and even if you have varifocals, the angle of the card at the bottom of the case is such that you end up on your knees (a not unknown position), so that you can see through the reading bit of your lenses. The gold leaf work and jewellery I think are the best exhibits.

So what happens on Mondays? Well that will be covered in Part 3, in the meantime you will find a few photographs on my web site at http://www.villaralfa.com/athens.html


0 comments to “A Short Guide For the Gay Visitor to Athens on a Winter Weekend Break”

Post a Comment

 

Best Numbers For Lottery Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger